by Wendy Wells, NMD
- Eat Apples and enjoy the brain benefits. Quercitin is a plant chemical in apple skins that protect the nerve cells of the brain against free radical attack. When free radicals are high in the brain, cognitive decline is more
- Spice up your brain juice with Curry powder. Turmeric is common in curry powder. It is a powerful anti-inflammatory agent for the brain and the arteries. It also has been shown to inhibit Alzheimer’s disease according to the University of California in LA.
- Bring more energy to the brain with Brazil nuts. Selenium is found in Brazil nuts. Eating a handful of Brazil nuts per day gives your body and brain what it needs. Selenium is an integral part of thyroid function which controls our metabolism and how energetic we feel. Heavy metals are known to disrupt brain chemistry by blocking important brain minerals such as zinc, copper and iron. Selenium is able to “chelate” these metals and take them out of the brain cells and out of the body.
- Lubricate the brains squeaky wheels with olive oil. Olive oil is high in memory improving nutrients called mono-unsaturated fats. Drizzle your olive oil over your food after cooking or use it to cook only on low heat. High heat destroys its health giving benefits.
- Green drinks are highly concentrated juiced and dried fruits, vegetables, algae and spirulina. They are rich in plant anti-oxidants and bring more oxygen to the brain cells. When cells are surrounded by antioxidants; they are likely to live longer and be more productive. After drinking a green drink, many of my patients report actually feeling an energy boost in body and mind.
- Rosemary is an herb that has long been used to help wake up the brain by breathing in the aroma. Scientists from the Cancer Research Institute of Slovak Academy of Sciences have now found that rosemary extract can significantly help to protect your DNA against free radical damage. How the plant stimulates alertness and memory is still not fully understood.
- Blackberries and Blueberries are potent anti-oxidant foods. The particular anti-oxidant in them is called polyphenols. According to a 2009 Tufts University study, they are known for stimulating communication between nerve cells. This makes our brains wake up and absorb more information.
- Wild Salmon is packed full of Omega 3 fatty acids. These are known for stimulating better cell membranes so that the communication between cells is improved. They also are anti-inflammatory which allows the cells to communicate more effectively. Many studies show a positive relationship between fish oil and a positive outlook on life.
- Pumpkin seeds are packed with brain power nutrients. They are knows as “brain food” by the native Indians. The most important nutrient in pumpkin seeds is Magnesium. This valuable mineral has a calming affect on the brain which has been shown to allow people to stay focused longer and absorb more information. They also contain L-tryptophan which can lift the mood.
- Sunflower seeds are highest in Vitamin E than any other foods. Vitamin E is the most crucial brain antioxidant. It is fat-soluble and protects the cell membrane and DNA of the brain cell. The brain contains tiny blood vessels called capillaries which are strengthened by the presence of Vitamin E. Therefore, Vitamin E helps the brain cells get more oxygen.